Saturday, July 5, 2008

Symmetry


Photographer: Bobby Kintanar
Winner: Natatanging Larawang Pinoy Contest - Week 9 :
Reflections


The following is an interview of LP Week 9 Winner, Bobby Kintanar, ak.a. Birman22 by LP Moderator, Oman Aguilos.


LP: Please give us a brief background information about yourself.

My day job is in a company engaged in hi-volume sales in the IT Industry and I manage a division which handles the repair and maintenance of POS Terminals in VIS-MIN. I am a Cebuano, married, and I have 2 lovely daughters.

LP: Is photography a full-time job or is it a hobby? How long have you been in photography?
Photography is not only a hobby - it is a passion for me. I've been at it for 24 years now.

LP: What inspired you to capture this winning photo?

This "winning" photo was captured during a birding trip I took to a place in Loon, Bohol, where I had a chance to shoot that "Little Heron" all by itself in a marshy pond. There it was, bathed in golden light at just the right angle, with an almost perfect reflection! I shot off some frames, re-composed - and off it flew! My heart fell, thinking I may not have captured the moment well enough! But luck was on my side and I did nail it.
LP: Did you have any professional training in photography?

I had some training under pros, but mostly learned thru practice and more practice. One thing I learned early on is this: Just because others are better doesn't mean that you're not good! So practice, practice, practice.
LP: How do you keep your photographic skills/knowledge up-to-date?

I keep myself updated through magazines and the net. Equipment reviews and peer advice helps a lot in being "in" on the latest trends. I shun formal training or "workshops" because I want to develop my own style of photography.

LP: What is the most memorable experience you have in photography?

My main interest is in Wild Bird Photography - and there are so few of us in this category right now, but as far as "memorable experiences" are concerned, that one would be the winning photo and possibly Grandpa and Child, and Mongolian Gull.

The Cebu Daily News ran a story about this rare capture - and I kept the check they paid for the photo in my wallet till now :-)

LP: What is your thought on post processing photos?

I have nothing against post processing - that is one of the advantages of digital photography. If it helps one to realize the vision he saw in his mind when he took the picture, why not? The important thing is that you should take a good shot in the first place. The only time I am against PP is when it is "creatively" used to alter somebody's work and claim it as your own.

LP: What will be the best advice you would give to a beginner / amateurs photographers?

Don't quit your day job! Honestly, all I can say is that Photography is a way to capture images that you want to keep or show to others. In other words, through Photography, one can share his experiences, visions and perspective with those around him, and it can be the most rewarding experience for us and for them. Be Passionate about it, and always make it your best shot!

No comments:

CLICKRS

visitors

© 2008. LARAWANG PINOY
No part of this blog should be reproduced or copied without the permission from the authors and the blog owners.