Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Buhay Lansangan

NATATANGING LARAWANG PINOY CONTEST NO. 21 - Buhay Lansangan
Winner: rempleo

is the world safe for me?..

1. Please give us a brief background information about yourself.

Hi, I'm Roland Empleo.. but friends just call me Roe. I belong to a group of 3 young architects enganging in residential, commercial and hospitality designs (like spa and hotels). We also build some projects that we design.

2. Is photography a full-time job or is it a hobby? and how long have you been in photography?

Right now it's just a serious hobby.. but I'm setting my mind to venture into professional photography.

3. What inspired you to capture this winning photo? Please give a brief description about it.

I wasn't really into street photography before... not that I don't like it.. but it's just not my forte. But seeing these kids, basically living on a park in front of the Binondo church, makes my heart cringe.. I realized that my being adamant to street photography before is not because I don't like shooting street or poor people.. but because they affect me so much. I guess it was just the right time for me to accept their reality and capture them through photography.

4. Did you have any professional training in photography?

Yes, before... when I started being serious with photography, I enrolled in the basic photography workshops offered by FPPF in Fort Santiago back in 2001. I was still using Film back then.. the only DSLR I saw before was from the instructors.. But I never really had the time to enjoy photography before due to my work.. I eventually stopped shooting back in 2003.

5. How do you keep your photographic skills/knowledge up-to-date?

Before, I would collect books and magazines regarding photography.. then later, I became friends with some of my instructors and other great photographers, and I would request in assisting them in their shoot from time to time...to learn from actual experience.. and to pick their minds about this profession...

But since my 5 year hiatus from photography... my only inspiration and source of knowldege right now are the numerous talented artists in flickr.. you could learn a lot by just seeing thier work and studying how they've done it....and most of them are from my friends and contacts... so I don't have to pay for workshops anymore. hahaha...


6.What is the most memorable experience you have in photography?

I'm not sure that I have a specific one... but I guess the experience and the overwhelming feeling of having the chance to work with great photographers that I respect and Idolize.. will always be memorable for me.

7.What are your gadgets and what software are you using to post process your works?

Before, I used to own a Canon EOS Elan II film slr.. but since I didn't pay much attention to it for 5 years.. it's now unusable.. huhuhu.

Right now, I'm using a Canon EOS 40D,.. with Sigma 18-200mm as my walk around lens and some of my macro shots.. then I added a 50mm f1.8 prime for my nature and portrait shots... then just recently I bought a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens...

Before, I only use photoshop CS2 for basic or auto options like levels, contrasts, curves and image sizing.. but later I was introduced to Adobe Lightroom (now Version 2) and found it very useful in editing raw files.


8. What is your thought on post processing photos?

I don't mind post processing.. I do it also sometimes... But personally, I don't want to over process my photos.. I always try my best to compose my shot through the camera so i wouldn't need to bother myself in tweaking it through PP.. and besides, I only know the basics in PP..hehehe.. although sometimes, I do make some experiments with it, just to see what other image I can create with my photos.

9. In which category of photography are you most interested and why?

Even before, I dont have any specifics on my subject or any form of specialty.. I'm still learning and it's still way far for me to have a specialty.. But I would love to hone my skill with Architectural and Fashion Photography.

Architectural, because it coincides with my profession.. and Fashion, because I just love beautiful women.. hehehe.. but seriously, I love bringing out the different personality of the model through photography.. it's just amazing how many characters you can create with just a photograph.


10. What will be the best advice you would give to a beginner / amateurs photographers?

To never stop learning.. to start looking at the world in a different view..... and alaways find beauty in every little thing that you can see.. that's how you can hone your eyes to photography and creativity... because taking a photograph is different from making a photograph. any child can take a photo.. but only an artist can create an image out of it.

Three of my most favorite images from my stream.

I don't really have a favorite as of now.. but i can share with you some images that's memorable to me..

Sunset at Mabini, Batangas
Sunset at Mabini, Batangas

This is one of my few shots from my old film slr.. already lost the negative years ago.. this is just a scan.. It's a memorable shot and place for me because it's our get away place.. me and my college friends love staying here and around those islands. and this sunset capture is one of my few good outputs from my film days.


dawn at Palawan...
dawn at Palawan..

This one is really memorable because it's taken on my first trip in Palawan in March of this year.. I just fell in love with this beach in Sabang.. I was still using a P&S back then...


waiting...
Waiting..

This one is my very first explored photo.. I didn't even know that I have one.. only after a month when I've learned about explore. I'm just proud of it because it one of my first close-up shots with my 18-55mm kit lens.. just bought my camera that time... and it made explore on just my 2nd week in flickr...with just 15 comments and 25 views...
.....
Thanks to Bobby a.k.a. Birdman@22 for the interview.

1 comment:

BatangasNgaun said...

dami talagang magagandang place sa batangas like agoncillo, balete, alitagtag

CLICKRS

visitors

© 2008. LARAWANG PINOY
No part of this blog should be reproduced or copied without the permission from the authors and the blog owners.