Sunday, August 3, 2008

Gandang Pilipina

Photographer: Antonio Genovia
Winner: Natatanging Larawang Pinoy Contest - Week 11 :
Gandang Pilipina


Selective Color Exercise

Please give us a brief background information about yourself.

My name is Antonio Genovia, a resident of Morgan Hill, Ca. A business owner, and I am currently working in Century Helicopters. Grow up here in the states, I finished my schooling in the Philippines in the medical field of Physical Therapy.

Is photography a full-time job or is it a hobby? and how long have you been in photography?
I bought my first SLR (Canon Rebel Xti) as a gift to my fiance for Christmas. A later, I paid someone to take a picture of my car, I did not like how the picture was composed and treated, so on Nov. 8. 2007 I went out and took a picture of my car.

I have been selling my photos, I market myself. My first sold photo, was a shot that I took of Corey Ness motorcycle the son of Arlen Ness, I got paid $30.00. I knew then that this "Flickr" thing works to my advantage, and I am starting to believe that I might have a talent in photography.

What inspired you to capture this winning photo? Please give a brief description about it.
My first taste of strobe, with my friends. Lightstalker, and Kudaker. I was so frustrated during this shot, because I did not know what I was doing. I chose to enter this photo, because it had the elements of a Filipina. I treated it with selective colors to bring out her face, so the viewers are drawn to the face, specially to the eyes.

Did you have any professional training in photography? How do you keep your photographic skills/knowledge up-to-date?
The only professional training that I have is in Century Helicopter Products, were I work. We have a studio and my manager influenced me into photography, and has been a fruit of technology, like "You tube."

I record all of the treatments, I like to experiment. I can spend a day experimenting new treatments, and I subscribe to Photoshop magazine.

What is the most memorable experience you have in photography?
My memorable experience in photography is when someone told me that I do not know how to take pictures, I lack the know how, my treatments where not that good. That has been my memorable negative experience. My positive memorable experience are all posted in my stream.

What are your gadgets and what software are you using to post process your works? What is your thought on post processing photos?
I use Lightroom, CS3, Photomatix, and Noise Ninja.

Post Processing is done to convey a story for it brings out dramatic colors. Recently I had date with a known wedding photographer, he gave me a lot of good insights. "Natural treatment makes money in the world of photography, but you still have to reserve your skills in post processing, for advertising purposes"

In which category of photography are you most interested and why?
I like street photography, and street fashion photography. I like this field in photography, because to some it is not easy to talk to strangers, or to talk to a pretty woman that might be walking on the street. I like to capture life in its true essence.

What will be the best advice you would give to a beginner / amateurs photographers?
My advice to those that just started in photography.
1) Have fun.
2) Have lots of it.
We become who we are, when we exert a little extra effort.

No comments:

CLICKRS

visitors

© 2008. LARAWANG PINOY
No part of this blog should be reproduced or copied without the permission from the authors and the blog owners.